Fashion photography is the key to a successful portfolio of many models. Fashion photographers are the one who passionately works behind the lens is showcasing fashion apparels and accessories in the way that they appear even the more enticing. Fashion photography has been able to set benchmarks in the segment of Beauty, clothes, models, accessories, etc. using technologies and skills, Right from choosing exotic locations, story lines, background, photographer’s tricks, and techniques during fashion photography infuses life in the static photo shoot.
There are various styles to the fashion photography genre such as Editorial, catalog, high fashion, and street. Street fashion photography is the latest addition in this category and is gaining prominence owing to its simplicity and connectivity with commoners. Catalog and Street style fashion photography are quite distinguishable, whereas Editorial and high fashion photography are quite similar in style.
Taking photos of people is a rewarding experience. But posing them can be tough, especially if you’re still starting out. That’s why we created these tips to help you get the perfect model poses for fashion photography. You’ll learn how to pose models in no time!
Model Posing Tips
1. Angle your legs and arms, even if only slightly. This type of shoot is done to show full body poses.
2. Master the three-quarters pose. In this pose, you turn your body slightly away from the camera so that only three-fourths of your body is visible. This adds depth and makes the images more visually appealing.
3. Follow your photographer’s direction on where to look. Looking directly into the camera has limited appeal and doesn’t work in a lot of cases. Look behind the camera, or into the eyes of the photographer.
4. Keep your poses moving and alive, but move slowly. You want to change things about every three seconds. Move a hand, change your posture slightly, change your facial expression.
Top 10 Model Poses for Photo Shoots
The list will give you the modeling photography poses you need to know to get a fantastic photo.
- The placement of arms must allow for light to move between her body and arms, which will accentuate her waist.
- Watch her posture so that her shoulders are not slumped.
- If the model is feeling self-conscious, demonstrate the pose yourself and make the environment a relaxed one.
- Create different shapes with the body.
2.Standing Poses (Totally Sideways)
- Shoot a closer view of the model so that it almost seems like she is peeping over her shoulder at you, thus creating a more intimate shot.
3.Standing Poses (with Back to Camera)
4.Standing with Back Against a Wall
- The model can lean flat against the wall or slightly angled towards the camera.
- If your model is looking away from the camera, give clear instructions of where to look i.e. look straight at that red car or look up towards that tower.
- If your model is looking away, watch the whites of her eyes as too much of the white may look unappealing.
- For different emotions, give the model a narrative e.g. imagine you are waiting for your lost love or you have just won the lottery.
5.Standing Poses with Use of a Prop
A prop can give you many options :
- leaning slightly on the chair,
- half kneeling on the chair,
- a foot rested on the chair,
- to even just twirling the chair on one leg for some movement shots.
- When it comes to props, use your imagination.
6.Walking (Away from the Camera)
- Ask your female model to walk away from the camera looking back at you or down to her side incorporating some movement with clothing or hair.
7.Sitting on Steps or a Chair
- With the model sitting, you can use different angles and heights to get different looks.
- If the model is a tad overweight then focus more on the above type of angle where she looks up at the camera, as this will be slimming.
8.Sitting on the Floor
- This can allow for some cute female poses with some coy expressions.
- Always make sure that your female model’s modesty is maintained.
- Whilst the model is seated, she can play with a flower or piece of jewelry which will lend itself to many different photographic options from full body, to half body to macro detail shots.
- During hand shots, always make sure that they have soft relaxed hands.
- Create different shapes with arms and legs.
9.Laying on the Side
- When your female model is laying down, make sure her clothing is laying correctly.
- The model can place a soft hand under her jawline to prop up her head or have arms more relaxed around her body forming a frame.
- Her top leg must be slightly bent and dropping slightly forward to show the shape of the body.
- Always give your model positive feedback.
10.Head and Shoulders
- Use the model’s arms or hands for natural framing.
- Ensure that there is no tension in her jawline and shoulders.
- Give your model some breathing techniques if they are struggling to relax
Fashion model poses are hard work. It takes study and practice to be a professional in the industry. Of course, this is just a sample list of a few poses to get you started. But once you master these basic photography poses, you are well on your way to getting the best model poses you can.
We hope our ideas have given you some inspiration and that you are even more excited for your next shoot.
The 6 Month Diploma course offered by Pixeltoonz Academy helps you learn and acquire photography skills to top the industry. It gives an understanding of the basics of digital photography, like camera features and its usage. The curriculum includes Principles of photography, Fundamentals of Photo Editing, Portrait and Product Photography, and Outdoor photography. After completion, you can work as photo journalists, or as fashion, or wildlife photographers.
To know more about Photography course, contact Pixeltoonz Academy now, which is your one stop destination for all your technical training courses.
Now it’s time to take action and show the world what an awesome Photographer you can be!
If you have any questions along the way, please feel free to either comment below or email us and let us know. We’ll have your back throughout this process!